Clubs, Classes & Sports

What's On

Sunday 10 April 2016

Food Week Cake Decorating Fun

We had this interesting and slightly embarrassing review from Kate Wall who was taking part in Milford on Sea Food Week for the first time this year:

"As a newcomer to Milford-on-Sea I soon realised it was a very active community. I met Ruth Bufton (my new neighbour) early on who invited me to the Newcomer’s Supper and told me about Food Week. She suggested I contact David Long and get involved.

click image to enlarge
Having discovered the Milford newsletter and webpages I registered, contacted David and within a couple of hours found I’d agreed to deliver a Hands-On Decorating Class, a Cake Decorating Demonstration and had a table booked at CakeFest. Both were in aid of in aid of Marie Curie. I was well and truly involved!

Ten willing ladies arrived for the hands on cake decorating session at which I showed them how to ice and decorate a cake. We had a great time with lots of laughs and ended up with ten ladies plus ten decorated cakes – success all round! Feedback was very positive with comments like: “So well organised – brilliant afternoon of fun – much enjoyed. Thank you so much”. A great day.
click image to enlarge
The next day I returned to the South Lawn Cookery Theatre for my demonstration. Time was limited but I managed to create a handbag shaped cake which was auctioned at the end of the session to raise funds for Marie Curie. 
click image to enlarge

David Long was commandeered to be our auctioneer and was not too pleased to see his wife join us and make the successful bid of £25, which David had to pay for – sorry David!  Editors note: Just about sums up my life!

After clearing up, the Longs then generously donated the cake back to raise more money at Cake Fest. So, back home for yet more baking before setting off for the Community Centre and CakeFest. 

Our table of goodies included the handbag cake in centre place and we asked the visitors to guess the weight of the cake plus the board. When David arrived I asked him to have a go and try to win the cake again but he surprisingly declined! However it proved very successful and the cake was won by a young lady called Tabitha who collected her prize with her mum. We were delighted she had won it as she told us her great grandma is in Oakhaven and had
click image to enlarge
recently lost her husband so they were going to share it with her to cheer her up – what a lovely outcome!

Overall, it was a great week and it looks like I may be running more cake decorating sessions during the year, so watch this space if you’re interested. During the whole process I learnt several things about Milford-on-Sea:

• David Long and his long suffering wife are amazing people who work tirelessly for the village.

• Milford Food Week has nothing short of a whole army of volunteers and supporters without whom the week could not be achieved.

• If you want to get involved and make new friends then get stuck in – I’ve found everyone to be very friendly and welcoming.

So to David, Ella and all the Milford villagers I have met so far – it’s a huge thumbs up and many thanks from me!"

Kate Wall

Editors Note: Thanks for the kind words Kate, we can only do it because of the enthusiasm of the individual people, organisations and local businesses who get so involved in making the events happens, and a village load of foodies who come along to all of the events! - it is they who deserve the biggest thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: Your comment will be approved by the administrator before publication. This could take 24 to 48 hours. Thank you.