Clubs, Classes & Sports

What's On

Wednesday 3 April 2013

40 B4 40-Bluebird

No. 32: Bluebird, Lymington 

As we could not decide where to go and eat with our friends Colin & Tricia, we decided that Tricia could make it a surprise. 

Not only did we not know where we were going, but we did not anticipate we were also going back in time. 

click image to enlarge
A short drive to get there, and then even more miles covered looking for a parking space, we were eventually strolling through the cobbled streets at the foot of Lymington High Street. Charming as ever, but the biting wind had Colin & I walking at a pace not normally associated with our normal stroll. 

Our destination was The Bluebird Restaurant. Having passed by this quaint looking building many times, this was our first visit to dine. 

from the outside the Bluebird displays signs for its various offerings, part café, part restaurant and a B&B. Stepping inside I had visions of the 1980's. The tables & chairs were all made of wood, and the walls adorned with a mish-mash of pictures featuring racing drivers, sea and country scenes. 

A friendly greeting from the waiting team, and we were soon at our table. The laminated menus were certainly reminiscent of a café and the selection not to exciting, however the breakfasts looked good. 

click image to enlarge
The 'Specials Board' provided much more inspiration, with a great selection of fresh fish, homemade dishes, and a homemade pudding menu that was going to create an issue for me when it came to choosing.

It didn't take long for our drinks order to arrive, followed by the rolls, which were OK, but not homemade. The butter was in little foil wraps, a small pet hate of mine.

The food was to prove a lot better than the decor. For our starters my wife and Colin had tasty Calamari with Sweet Chili Mayonnaise, and my Deep Fried Goats Cheese with Pineapple Chutney was spot on. Both dishes came with a salad of mixed leaves, peppers, cucumber and carrot on the side of the plate, which raised a nostalgic smile.

Our main courses arrived and the main ingredients looked as good as they proved to taste. The girls and I had Grilled Whole Dover Sole with Lemon & Parsley Butter, and Grilled Halibut Fillet with Creamed Leak & Saffron Sauce.  Colin, being a major carnivore & offal eater, went for Liver & Bacon.  Each meal was fresh and well cooked.

The fish courses where normally served with new potatoes and vegetables. However, we all fancied chips, and the front of house team were happy to change our order. When the chips were served they were hot, crispy. and everything you want in a chip.  The vegetables were served in individual bowls and instantly bought back memories of how dishes were served a couple of decades ago. I really felt I should have been wearing flares, a tank top and platform shoes. Fortunately Colin was, so he felt right at home.

Time travel aside, the food had been very good and it was now time for sweet.

As much as I was being nice to my wife, offering her all sorts of inducements and even offering to put the bins out, she resolutely insisted she did not want a sweet. Of course, my real point was she ordered one for us to 'share'. On my last pleading attempt, I could see from the steely glint in her eyes that I was a nano-second from getting a fork in the eye.  This development encouraged me to abort my 'dual delight' mission.

It would have been easy to order six or so puddings from the comprehensive list of homemade delights.   However, my wife tends to torture me for several weeks with low fat food if I order more than one, so as a result only two puddings were ordered, but I never got a look in on Tricia's Forest Fruit Pavlova. She has perfected the art of speed eating when dining with me.

I have forgo the Apple & Rhubarb Crumble and creme brulée, and settled for the Chocolate Marquise, which was delicious.  Tricia's pudding was also sweet and tasty, or so I was told.  

As Colin was the day's nominate driver our alcohol intake was less than usual, however that will be rectified next time.  Well, it will be if I can convince my wife to drive.  Looks like I will have to make a concerted effort at a period of good behaviour.  Wish me luck.


Bluebird
5 Quay St Town Centre, Lymington SO41 3AS
www.bluebirdrestaurant.co.uk

If you are wondering what the 40 B4 40 Dining Challenge is all about, please click here and all will be explained.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: Your comment will be approved by the administrator before publication. This could take 24 to 48 hours. Thank you.