Clubs, Classes & Sports

What's On

Wednesday 14 March 2012

40 B4 40-The Old Vicarage


No. 4: Having been left alone to fend myself for a night, I was bravely facing the trauma of how to feed myself in the evening.

Feeling abandoned and lonely, it wasn’t long before I visited our friends C & T. Far from helping, they compounded my desertion anxiety when I discovered that they had plans to go out for dinner with friends Kate & David. This of course had not been priorly cleared with me, but I took the bad news well. I had sort of planned to dine on the fine fish and chips from Mr Pink’s this evening, I even had a ‘Billy no mates’ plate in mind. However, it then occurred to me that a pathetic face, and statements about my inner fear of starvation, might bag me a dinner invitation. - It did.

Being a Tuesday evening, most of the restaurants in Milford on Sea village are closed tonight, (La Perle was open, but we had only recently been there) so we were off on an ‘out of village adventure’. Soon we all arrived at The Old Vicarage in Hinton, Christchurch. This restaurant only opened in November last year and is family owned. Mum and Dad run front of house, with son Lewis as head chef. As we entered the gravel drive, The Old Vicarage looked charming and had the feel of visiting a country house. Sprawling over 10 acres of gardens and woodland, the hotel offers six individually designed bedrooms in addition to its restaurant.

Once inside you could see someone had style and inspiration, the ‘shabby chic’ decoration had an air of quality, and the welcome was warm and informal. I was very much reminded of the very successful ‘The Pig County House Hotel & Restaurant’ in Brockenhurst. At the bar I was soon enjoying a German wheat beer, which was rather tasty and quite effective on an empty stomach.

A hurdle had to be jumped when the menus arrive, as due to my wife’s absence, I did not have access to my glasses in her handbag. Unfortunately, my wife was staying about 70 miles away, and even I considered it unreasonable to ask her to bring them over. Fortunately, Trish soon rescued me, and I think I looked quite fetching in ladies specs.

As I had already fish & chips on my mind, I immediately honed in on the beer battered haddock with mushy peas, tartar sauce & hand-cut chips. (Unbelievable, they have a current offer of Fish & Chips for 2 at £9.50 on Tuesdays.) In spite of the temptation, I only ordered one portion though. My starter choice was mushroom soup with home-made bread, and as a sweet, the banana tatin, banoffee crumble with almond ice cream.

As the conversation flowed and I was enjoying everyones company, the meals arrived. Others had chosen dishes that included, Ham hock terrine, toasted focaccia with pineapple chutney, Sea bream pomme puree, creamed spinach, salsify and pesto, Chicken ballotine, mustard mash, mushroom and broad bean cream, Deconstructed sherry trifle and warm jelly, and Cheese and biscuits. Being experienced diners, we all enthusiastically agreed that the food was superb, and my banana dessert was simply ‘to die for’. My only disappointment was that everyone else ate all of their sweets and no-one needed my help to finish any.

Before leaving, head chef, Lewis came out for a chat. A charming and passionate young man, who’s age belied his obvious kitchen skills. Lewis trained at Gordon Ramsays' Tante Marie Culinary Academy, and has subsequently worked in the kitchens at Hotel Du Vin, Poole and Westbeach, Bournemouth. His pastry chef also has an impressive CV, including working on the starters at Heston Blumenthal’s ‘Fat Duck’.

Not only could the food be described as exceptional, with quality ingredients and an obvious passion in the cooking, the prices can also be described as good value, even under priced for the quality of dishes you receive.

This is certainly a restaurant we will be back to, and the afternoon Cream tea, clotted cream & home-made jam for just £6 looks particularly tempting.

Arriving back in Milford on Sea we enjoyed a coffee and nightcap at David’s bar. I then realised that I had forgotten to call my wife earlier in the evening, I had already forgotten to take my phone out with me, and I was then was so engrossed in the evening, that it was now gone 11pm. I faced this dilemma head on, and as we were still having a nightcap I decided I had enough Dutch courage to wish her goodnight. Borrowing Colin’s phone I dialled fearlessly. As a recognised the muffled and sleep induced voice I knew she was safe, so I put on a strange voice, pretended it was a wrong number and hung up.

Another quick drink and it was time to be chauffeured home for a good nights sleep.


The Old Vicarage, Lyndhurst Road, Hinton, Christchurch, Dorset BH23 7DR
Tel: 01425 277006

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Some may say that this dinner should not qualify for our 40 B4 40 challenge, as my wife was not there. However as with most rules in my life, I simply make it up as I go along!

If you are wondering what the 40 B4 40 Dining Challenge is all about, please click here and all will be explained.

1 comment:

  1. We have eaten at The Old Vicarage several times,
    infact it was recommended by people on holiday & staying in Milford. Lovely food & ambience.
    Very reasonably priced & proper chips !
    Just your sort of place David.

    ReplyDelete

Please Note: Your comment will be approved by the administrator before publication. This could take 24 to 48 hours. Thank you.