Clubs, Classes & Sports

What's On

Saturday 14 January 2012

Don’t get nicked!

click image to enlarge
There I was, wandering down the High Street minding my own business, when I spotted an innocent car parked on what I understand is technically called the ‘funny paved island thing’ on the outer edge of the parking spaces outside of the Co-op.  I say, innocent, because I was under the impression that this was a legitimate parking space.  In fact, I am sure someone in a grown up position in village had told me that.  But true to form, I can’t remember who it was.

Well, the traffic warden who must have only recently passed by thought differently, and they had awarded the car with one of their special self-adhesive plastic wallets, containing a delightful parking ticket.  I then spotted a couple of police officers sitting in a car nearby, so I stopped for a chat.  They had also seen the ticket being awarded and thought it was probably a ‘traffic calming island’ rather than for parking.

I then decided I would wander to the Parish Council to see if I could clarify the situation.  However, I then couldn’t be bothered, and went for some tea and cake in the village instead.

So there you have it, no clarity on the parking situation and some badly researched useless information. (Up to par for these pages really.)  I guess the conclusion is, park at your peril!

4 comments:

  1. It is not a parking place unless it was intended that at least one car is trapped in the real parking slots. Having studied this on a number of occasions it is clear that if three cars are parked in the legitimate slots and some inconsiderate driver parks on the traffic calming island, the middle car in the legitimate slots cannot get out. Has not anybody observed that/

    Terry langford
    Milford on- Sea

    ReplyDelete
  2. As not everybody knows the reason for this,(apparently including the police!), and the Parish Office is too far away (though you could have had your tea/coffee and bun almost directly opposite it!), how about asking our current District Councillors who were involved in instigating it? Best wishes, Christopher Beeton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a local driver i have been amazed to see people park on this island.I have been trapped outside the co op because of an inconsiderate driver who appeared to abandon their vehicle for quite some time.I do not understand how any driver can be unsure or confused about an "ISLAND" and that you simply don't park on them,after all a roundabout is an island would you park on it? So please keep the island free for us drivers to be able to get out.

      Delete
  3. Maybe only women can park there, after all : 'no man is an island'. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please Note: Your comment will be approved by the administrator before publication. This could take 24 to 48 hours. Thank you.