Clubs, Classes & Sports

What's On

Monday 11 July 2011

Another great Music Festival!

The tenth anniversary Milford on Sea Arts & Music Festival got underway under a clear sky with the Folk Night on Thursday evening.  My wife and I didn’t make that one.  I was tempted, as I have this vision of hundreds of vegetarians in sandals and kaftans humming along to weird instruments, my wife insists the crowd would actually have been a lot more varied and that you don’t have to be a vegetarian to listen to folk music.

Being too old for Youth Band Night on Friday, our festival weekend started on Saturday afternoon.  On arriving, the village’s own Windmill Swing Band were on stage and the green was awash with people enjoying the first sunny afternoon for many days.  We made our way around the variety of stalls serenaded by classic tunes, I tried to stop at each one selling food, but my wife pulled me past, sagely saying ‘you don’t need that’.  I thought I did, but apparently my wife knew I didn’t.  I did however manage to lose her when I said I was going to ask the band waiting in the wings what the difference was between an oboe and bassoon.  This gave me enough time to grab a lemon & sugar crepe from Bon Appetite.  On my return, her piercing look told me that she had realised I hadn’t gone to ask the band about the oboe and bassoon.  She confirmed her own suspicions when she asked me; ‘what was the difference?’, and all I could think of was that ‘oboe’s are black’.  I think the sugar around my mouth may also have been a slight giveaway.  Next on stage were ‘Strangeworld’, who were described as a ‘progressive folk band’.  The music was certainly an acquired taste, and when someone started playing the bagpipes, it confirmed to me that this was a taste I had yet to acquire.  I have to be honest and say, I have no idea why those things were invented.  I may have been a lone voice though, as the crowd really liked it, and gave a rapturous round of applause at the end.

Next we were off to the marquee, where Zumba were doing a demonstration.  I thought this was another band, but soon discovered it was a high energy keep fit dance class.  The South American & African vibes were accompanied by dozens of enthusiastic women doing routines that would have worn out the pretty one in Pans People.  Simply watching the input of effort made me tired.  As I could see no men in the group, I checked out the beer tent end of the marquee, and yes, it was full.  Returning to the main stage I had a go at guessing how many carrots ‘Wonky Donkey’ had in his basket, it wasn’t 1624 apparently. 

As we moved through the green I thought that there had been a breakout from Marwell Zoo, but soon discovered it was just scores of kids with their faces painted.  I also don’t think the guy dressed as a Genie was really eight feet tall.  He certainly seemed to be enjoying himself as he maneuvered his stilts though the packed throng, only hitting a few dozen people with his sword as he passed through.  Next on the stage were a smooth swing & jazz band called The Regular Joes, who soon took everyone back a few decades. Their quality and style was fully appreciated by the ever growing crowd.

We had a master plan for the evening, which was to enjoy the nights entertainment from the comfort of La Perle.  Being directly behind the main stage, it is perfectly positioned to hear everything, and it also had the benefit that my wife didn’t have to listen to me droning on about some irrelevant nonsense all night.  For once my plan went perfectly, the food was excellent and we had grandstand seats to hear the hot rock bands on stage.  The village green was not only full to capacity, but many more people had to listen from any space they could find nearby. It was great to see people of all ages really enjoying a great day. Just as the evening headline act; ‘Not The Rolling Stones’, took to the stage, and we were fully fed, we made our way across the road from the restaurant.  Their classic rock’n’roll set soon had people up and dancing as the band banged out the tracks made immortal by Mick Jagger & the boys.  The audience included people from every generation from the ages of 10 to 90, and each were equally delighted to be part of a great night of musical mastery.

Sunday morning started out grey and wet, and I thought about waking my wife up with tea in bed.  I then decided it would be much more fun to let the dogs into the bedroom to lick her face.  As I hid in the hallway I was not sure if I was listening to her muffled screams or the dogs giggling, either way, one of us had had a good start to the day.  My wife had volunteered to help some friends on the ‘cream tea’ stall in the afternoon, so off we trotted.  Thankfully, the day had now brightened up and the sun had fought its way through.  Total Voice, the village choir, were in full song as we arrived and as always they were a providing super entertainment for the happy throng.  It was clear that the choir itself were also having a great time. Many of you will think my wife’s temporary cream tea job would have entitled me to a particularly large portion of jam and cream, in fact I actually got less, as my wife is apparently ‘looking after my health’.  I see it more as making sure I don’t enjoy myself too much! 

The village green was again packed, and a lazy Sunday afternoon floated by as everyone were treated to a sparkling performance from Zing! Choir and then dancing from the kids at Zapp!.  Retiring to the beer tent for well earned refreshment, two teenage girl singers were on stage at the ‘Open Mic Session’ in the marquee.  Their voices were quite mesmerizing, and in future years it would be no surprise to see them on the main stage.  As the sun continued to shine everyone enjoyed some classical music from the New Forest Community Orchestra, followed by the crisp harmonies of Crescendi, a fine local choir with a fair number of members from the village. 

To close this magnificent event, Colin Judson, the villages own professional opera singer, was joined by many of his classical music contemporaries to delight the crowd with songs from the Savoy Operas.  Colin and his operatic friends were once again a spectacular finale to a wonderful weekend of music.  

The music festival is always a highlight of the village year and without doubt creates music and entertainment for everyone to enjoy.  It is hard to believe that earlier this year the event was under threat, but thankfully a handful of people from village volunteered to lend a hand and everything is now well and truly back on track.  How a small dedicated committee of volunteers put on such an amazing event I have no idea, but I and many hundreds of others are really grateful they do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: Your comment will be approved by the administrator before publication. This could take 24 to 48 hours. Thank you.