Clubs, Classes & Sports

What's On

Wednesday 15 June 2011

Oasis boys go Thai in Milford

It was a normal Friday night when a booking for nine arrived at the Britannia Thai restaurant in Milford on Sea. Many would have immediately recognised Liam Gallagher, formally lead singer for international super-group Oasis.

I discovered this when Nigel & Wendy got in touch to let me know. They had popped in to collect a takeaway and were told that the large table were guys from a famous rock band. Being a Milford on Sea resident Nigel of course had no idea who the band was, and was none the wiser when told ‘that’s the bloke from Oasis’.  What I found particularly impressive was that Wendy has accompanied Nigel to collect the takeaway.  In fifteen years with my wife has yet to accompany me on any takeaway collection. 

I decided to check with Suhel at Britannia Thai, and he confirmed his rock star encrusted evening, adding “They said the food was excellent and that they would be back in the future.”  He let me know that there were 9 people altogether, and that “They left a generous tip as well.” 

It crossed my mind that they may have been staying at Westover Hall, but on checking with David he advised they hadn’t stayed there, and that all of his rooms and TV’s were still intact.  I considered doing some more research on where they might have stayed, but decided I couldn’t be bothered. 

My mind did however curiously wander to why they were in the village. My first thought was they were booked to play a gig (‘show’ to our older readers) at the Community Centre, but when I asked Sue she simply turned the question by asking whether I had been drinking.  Intrepidly I made a quick visit to The White Horse, Red Lion, Smugglers Inn, The Marine & Gun Inn, which confirmed they were not booked to play there, and that each serves a good pint. I then decided to call a friend on the Milford on Sea Arts & Music Festival committee to see if they were in the village for auditions, he simply said “We already have Take That, Shirley Bassey and Engelbert Humperdinck booked, so no room I’m afraid”.  I suspect he did not take my question seriously. 

It transpires that the former Oasis frontman was with his new band ‘Beady Eye’, which is made up of several former Oasis members, and they were due to play at the Isle of Wight Festival on the Sunday Night. Liam Gallagher, was once married to Patsy Kensit, (an actress is Emmerdale apparently), and he is well known for his spikey character and still unresolved public fallout with brother Noel. 

After the festival the band moved onto Denmark where The Daily Mirror reported that Liam Gallagher and his Beady Eye band mates stayed in a spooky ex-psychiatric hospital. “The hotel we were in was a former mental home and it was haunted,” Liam told Absolute Radio at the Isle of Wight Festival. There was a lot of prank phone calls going on – but that was us.” Liam, 38, added: “They all checked out and we checked in all the movies, man.” Nope, I have no idea what they means either.

www.thairestaurantnewforest.co.uk | www.beadyeyemusic.com

1 comment:

  1. So now you need to get onto their agent and book them for the 2012 Food Week! As for the fee, might I suggest a free meal at the (excellent) Thai restaurant. I realise they may not quite be as succesful as the resident Food Week band, but it'll keep those "Bored" youths busy for an hour or two. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please Note: Your comment will be approved by the administrator before publication. This could take 24 to 48 hours. Thank you.